Friday, August 19, 2005

Howard van Rooijen's Blog : Conchango.Build.TaskBuilder: A Visual Designer for Microsoft SDC Build Scripts

Conchango.Build.TaskBuilder: A Visual Designer for Microsoft SDC Build Scripts
TaskBuilder was my second xmas holiday project. I started it before AssemblyReflector, but then needed a mechanism for Code Generating all of the shape classes so that I could save hours of time by not having to write all the classes by hand. I used AssemblyReflector to generate the shapes from interfaces I had derived from the Microsoft.Sdc.Configuration.Build.1.2.xsd schema.

The genesis of TaskBuilder came from two sources – firstly my desire to really get to grips with Francois Vanderseypen’s amazing Netron Project and secondly my desire to make the creation and maintenance of build scripts something far less laborious and prone to easy mistakes.

The idea for a visual designer for creating Microsoft SDC Build Scripts has been floating around in my head for a long while; I just lacked the time and the tools. Then at the beginning of December I read Sam Newman’s post “FreeMind as an Ant GUI” and it made me realise that Netron would be the perfect enabler for build script visualisation.

The image below shows TaskBuilder editing the demo DailyBuild.Config file.