Thursday, February 21, 2008

Why i like my new computer

I recently upgraded to a more powerful "beast" of a computer to play the latest Flight Simulator X and for checking my email (and maybe some work too).  I'm a bit rough at assembling systems (the last one I built was in '99) but I managed to figure out how to put the pieces together without bending too much, and in only 8-10 tries.  With no smoke, and only a few reversed cables, I think my warranty is still good.

I'm still trying to figure out why I need to deal with standoffs, motherboard mounting screws, and those stupid connectors for power switches, reset buttons, and LEDs.  There has got to be an easier way.  This stuff has been the same since the 80s.

The other thing that killed me were the rebate forms.  I kept asking myself why I'm wasting a half-hour of my life filling out an $8 rebate form and going to the different web sites for registration.

One thing I liked, since I don't have front-facing audio jacks...  this stuff is magic.

image

Another thing I liked... the Asus Nvidia 8800 GT...  this is the real beast.

image

I did have to upgrade the motherboard BIOS and video card drivers from Nvidia to get the system stable.

Now I can see cars driving in FSX... for the price of a couple of hours of real flying time. 

Now if I can only figure out how to stop an uncontrolled helicopter spin.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/