Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Bill Cara: More garbage from Big Media, Thurs., Dec. 29, 2005, 10:30 AM

Bill Cara: More garbage from Big Media, Thurs., Dec. 29, 2005, 10:30 AM: "I'd like to register my complaint about the grossly unfair reporting yesterday by CNN's Miles O'Brien regarding what he calls a warning to Americans: Beware of Toronto. I'll quote: 'The murder rate in Toronto has doubled this year. There is, you know, a crime spree underway.' What a load of crap, and just goes to show how ugly some (I repeat some) American's people are."

Bill Cara is right on the money as usual. I live in Toronto, and though the gun violence has increased, probably due to the American distribution of guns into Canada, I don't feel threatened. I also don't feel intimidated by the statistics, since Winnipeg in 1999 appeared to be a more dangerous city according to Bill, and I won't be walking around Atlanta after dark any time soon. (I'm sure the people in Atlanta feel the same way about Toronto)

So what's changed this year that has caused this dramatic spike? Maybe the media hype is fuelling the fire?